Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Reading Comment for Week 11 Readings (Since I was confused about not having 10 reading scores already)

Obviously I think that Wiki's are an extremely tool and asset to all people but most likely in the workplace. I think a majority of my classmates will agree with me. It seems that it would be a no brainer to have all information and data stored in one particular place without ever needing to be moved. This would cut down on the loss of data and streamline the editing process. I do however see a couple of setbacks to this. For one, anything can be edited by anyone as long as some rules are followed. Therefore, we don't actually know what the source is behind the data we are reading and if it is reliable or not. This is why most of my papers throughout my college career were not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source, as layed out by the professors. Also, there would still need to be collaboration in the workplace so that a particular piece of data is not being edited by two different people at the same time. However, even with the minor drawbacks a Wiki can be a very valuable asset.

No comments: