Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Reading Thoughts For Week 2 Readings

I am posting my thoughts on the week 2 readings now because I was confused (as suggested by my muddiest point) on when our thoughts should be posted. Turns out they need to be posted on friday, before week 2 actually arrives. So here it comes now, with week 3's comments to follow soon.

My only real thought on these readings, obviously, is on Moore's Law. To me its not really a law, its more of an observation, but not the less a very good. It just boggles my mind that every two years the number of transistors on a chip and the storage of hardware doubles. As stated in the article, this trend seems to be more of a self fulfilling prophecy than an actual trend. Its like you learn in economics, If someone of importance suggests or mentions that something may happen, people in general will work hard to make sure that it does happen. So who knows, maybe we could gone over doubling everything in two years, say quadruple everything. However, maybe I'll see in my lifetime when technology just runs out of room and engineers can no longer accomplish, and fall short of Moore's law. Will this be considered a failure? Will it happen? I guess time will tell.

No comments: